What is ColumbiaDoctors?
- ColumbiaDoctors is the faculty medical practice of Columbia University Medical Center; it includes more than 1,500 physicians, dentists, and nurses in more than 230 specialties and subspecialties. ColumbiaDoctors is affiliated with NewYork-Presbyterian, the No. 1 hospital in the New York area and one of the top 10 hospitals in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report.
Do you accept my insurance?
- ColumbiaDoctors participates with most insurance carriers in the Greater New York area. Our practices in Westchester, Long Island, New Jersey, and Connecticut are in the process of broadening their participation in location-specific plans. When you search for a provider on our website, you will see the plans in which that provider participates. Please call the office to confirm or if you have any questions, as this information is updated frequently.
Where can I park?
- Parking is available at every ColumbiaDoctors location. Valet parking and discounted nearby garage parking will be available at our new ColumbiaDoctors Midtown office, at 51 West 51st St., starting Jan. 21, 2013.
How can I get additional information?
- For general inquiries, please call 212-326-8500. Contact information for all of the clinical practices and healthcare professionals is available at the “Find a Provider” section of this website.
How does ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion work?
- Step 1. After creating an account, you can begin creating your case by clicking the green button on the patient dashboard or by calling us between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. EST at 1-800-391-6920. We will ask you to provide an email address, basic patient information, locations of existing medical records, local physician contact information, and the question(s) you have about your condition or the patient’s condition.
- Step 2. Grand Rounds collects all of your medical records and chooses the most appropriate physician from ColumbiaDoctors to review your case. Our care team does the legwork for you. All of your information is handled securely to protect your privacy.
- Step 3. Your ColumbiaDoctors expert physician reviews your case and assembles your second opinion, addressing the specific questions you asked.
- Step 4. A member of the care team will call you to answer any questions you may have about your second opinion.
Why might I want a second opinion?
- You might have received a new diagnosis, experienced a change in your health condition, or have been recommended for care. A second opinion will allow you to make a more informed decision about how to move forward with your care.
Should I get an Second Opinion or visit ColumbiaDoctors for an in-person appointment?
- If you do not live within convenient traveling distance of our offices or if you would like a remote consultation from the convenience of your home, we recommend ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion. This service allows you to access the medical expertise of Columbia University Medical Center’s physicians from wherever you are. Alternatively, if it is convenient for you to visit us for an in-person appointment and you prefer to do so, you may schedule a visit by calling 1-800-391-6920. An in-person appointment may be covered by your insurance, depending on your insurance coverage.
I'd like to get a second opinion from a ColumbiaDoctors physician. How do I begin?
- You can conveniently begin the second opinion process online. To start, first create an account. After you create your account, you will be lead through the process of obtaining a second opinion. You can also call us between 9 am and 9 pm EST at 1-800-391-6920. This process is coordinated by our partner Grand Rounds.
What is the affiliation between Grand Rounds and ColumbiaDoctors?
- Grand Rounds helps ColumbiaDoctors deliver its second opinions. Before sending your information to the ColumbiaDoctors expert, the Grand Rounds team will gather your medical records and history. A medical expert at Columbia will then review your records, and provide you with a written second opinion.
How much does ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion cost?
- ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion costs $800. This fee includes:
- The cost of our care team collecting all of your medical records
- A written second opinion from an ColumbiaDoctors medical expert
How do I pay for ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion?
- Payment is due when you submit your ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion request. We accept all major credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover).
Will my insurance cover the cost of ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion?
- Most health plans do not cover online second opinions or consultations. You are responsible for the cost of ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion. we will not file a claim with your insurance carrier, nor can we provide a procedure (CPT) code for the ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion service. The cost of ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion may, however, be paid through your Flexible Spending Account or Health Savings Account. We are happy to address any questions you may have about payment.
How long does the ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion process take?
- We do our best to deliver your ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion as quickly as possible. Our process is medically rigorous, personalized, and comprehensive so we can provide you with the highest quality service. The timeline can vary depending on how quickly we can collect all of your medical records from your various medical providers. It can take up to two weeks from creating a case to delivering the written second opinion to you.
Do I need to send in my medical records?
- No, you do not need to collect or send in your medical records in order to get an ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion. Our care team will collect all of your medical records based on the physician locations you provide us when we create your case. If, however, you already have all of your medical records on hand, you can send them directly to our care team when creating your case, which will expedite the process.
Who chooses the physician who will provide my online second opinion?
- After carefully reviewing your second opinion request and your medical records, Grand Rounds will determine which ColumbiaDoctors physician specialist is most appropriate to handle your online second opinion case. You may request a particular physician, and we will try to accommodate that request, but we cannot guarantee that specialist will be assigned to your case.
I live outside of the United States. Can I use ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion?
- We do not currently offer ColumbiaDoctors Second Opinion to international patients. We encourage you, however, to contact Global Services for assistance, including help obtaining a second opinion.