Jonathan M. Amiel, MD
For existing patients, login to make an appointment, view documentation or contact your care provider.
Credentials & Experience
- General Psychiatry / Psychology
- Anxiety Disorders
- Adjustment Disorder
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Mental Health
- Mood Disorders
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Panic Disorder
Education & Training
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
About Jonathan Amiel
Dr. Jonathan Amiel is Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Columbia University Medical Center, Associate Dean for Curricular Affairs at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and an Attending Psychiatrist at the New York state Psychiatric Institute and New York-Presbyterian Hospital. He earned his bachelor's degree in biology from Yale University, his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, completed his residency and chief residency at NewYork Presbyterian Hospital / Columbia University / New York State Psychiatric Institute and studied at the Columbia University Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research.
Dr. Amiel's teaching focuses on medical students' professional identity formation through their initial course on doctoring and through their experiences in research. His scholarly work focuses on competency-based medical education. He is site principal investigator for a national study on the implementation of Core Entrustable Professional Activities to Enter Residency, chair-elect of the Association of American Medical Colleges Northeast Group on Educational Affairs and past chair of its Organization of Resident Representatives. He chairs the membership committee of the Gold Humanism Honor Society and is past-chair of the American Psychiatric Association's membership committee.
In his clinical work, Dr. Amiel works with individuals and couples going through difficult life transitions. He uses a variety of psychotherapies and, if needed, medications.
- Associate Professor of Psychiatry at CUMC
- Associate Dean for Curricular Affairs, College of Physicians and Surgeons
Alpha Omega Alpha
Gold Humanism Honor Society: Chair of Membership Committee
American Psychiatric Association: Fellow, Past-Chair of Membership Committee
Association of American Medical Colleges: Chair-Elect of Northeast Group in Educational Affairs, Past-Chair of Organization of Resident Representatives
Contact & Locations
- Gussic ME, Amiel JM, Baldwin C, Chandran L, Fincher RM, Lowit N, Mavis B, Nelson K, Nora L, O'Sullivan P, Padmore J, Rose S, Simpson D, Strobel H, Timm C, Viggiano T: AAMC Toolbox for Evaluating Educators: You be the Judge!. MedEdPORTAL 2013
- Amiel JM, Pincus HA: The medical home model: new opportunities for psychiatric services in the United States. Curr Op Psych 2011;24: 562-568
- Amiel JM, Mathew SJ, Garakani A, Neumeister A, Charney DS: Neurobiology of anxiety disorders, in Textbook of Psychopharmacology, 4th ed. Edited by Schatzberg AF, Nemeroff CB, American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC, 2009
- Amiel JM, Mangurian CV, Ganguli R, Newcomer JW: Addressing cardiometabolic risk during treatment with antipsychotic medications. Curr Op Psych 2008;21: 613-618
- Mathew SJ, Amiel JM, Coplan JD, Fitterling H, Sackeim HA, Gorman JM: Open-label trial of riluzole in generalized anxiety disorder. Am J Psychiatry 2005;162: 2379-1381