Neil Warren Schluger, MD
Neil W. Schluger, M.D. is the Chief of the Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine at the Columbia University Medical Center and Professor of Medicine, Epidemiology and Environmental Health Science at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and Columbia's Mailman School of Public Health. Dr. Schluger is also the Chief Scientific Officer of the World Lung Foundation. He is a graduate of Harvard College and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, and took his training in pulmonary and critical care medicine at the Cornell University Medical Center in New York. He has served as a visiting fellow and guestinvestigator at the Rockefeller University and in the Pulmonary Branch of the National Hearth, Lung, and Blood Institute of NIH.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Bacterial Infection
- Mycosis Fungoides
- Pulmonary Disease
- Professor of Medicine at CUMC
- Professor of Environmental Health Sciences at CUMC
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
- Residency: St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Pulmonary Disease Medicine
- Internal Medicine
Honors & Awards
- 1979-1980 John Harvard Scholarship
- 1990-1992 Stony Wold-Herbert Fund Foundation Fellowship for Pulmonary Research
- 1993-1994 National Research Service Award (individual), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIH)
- 1994-1999 Tuberculosis Academic Award, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH
- 1994 Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
- 1999 Mid-Career Investigator Award in Patient-Oriented Research, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health
- 2001-2012 listed in “New York’s Top Doctors” (Castle Connolly Medical)
- 2001-2012 listed in “America’s Top Doctors” (Castle Connolly Medical)
- 2002 American Society of Clinical Investigation, elected
- 2009 Ewig Clinical Scholar Award for Outstanding Teaching, Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Tuberculosis epidemiology, diagnostics, clinical trials global lung health
- Dorman SE, Johnson JL, Goldberg S, Muzanye G, Padayatchi N, Bozeman L, Heilig CM, Bernardo J, Choudhri S, Grosset JH, Guy E, Guyadeen P, Leus MC, Maltas G, Menzies D, Nuermberger EL, Villarino M, Vernon A, Chaisson RE; Tuberculosis Trials Consortium**. Substitution of moxifloxacin for isoniazid during intensive phase treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009; 180: 273-80.
- D'Armiento J, Scharf SM, Roth MD, Connett JE, Ghio A, Sternberg D, Goldin JG, Louis TA, Mao JT, O'Connor GT, Ramsdell JW, Ries AL, Schluger NW, Sciurba FC, Skeans MA, Voelker H, Walter RE, Wendt CH, Weinmann CG, Wise RA Foronjy RF. Eosinophil and T cell Markers Predict Functional Decline in COPD Patients, Respiratory Research, 2009;10:113-126
- Stout JE, Kosinski AS, Hamilton CD, Goodman PC, Mosher A, Menzies D, Schluger N, Khan A, Johnson JL. Effect of Improving the Quality of Radiographic Interpretation on the Ability to Predict Pulmonary Tuberculosis Relapse. Acad Radiol 2010;17:157-62
- Yip NH, Yuen G, MD; Lazar EJ, Regan BK, Brinson M, Taylor B, George L, Karbowitz SR, Stumacher R, Schluger NW, Thomashow BM. Analysis of Hospitalizations for COPD Exacerbation: Opportunities for Improving Care. COPD: Journal Of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, 2010; 7(2):85-92.
- Ben Amor Y, Day MS, Schluger NW*. Preventing the next generation of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2010; 14(5):525-7.
- Schluger NW. CT Screening for Evaluating Contacts of TB Patients: Ready for Prime Time? Chest 2010; 137 1011-1013
- Lopez de Castilla D. and Schluger NW*. Tuberculosis following solid-organ transplantation. Transplant Infectious Diseases, 2010 Apr;12: 106-12
- Nahid P, Bliven EE, Kim EY, Mac Kenzie WR, Stout JE, Diem L, Johnson JL, Gagneux S, Hopewell PC, Kato-Maeda M; Tuberculosis Trials Consortium**. Influence Of M. Tuberculosis Lineage Variability Within A Clinical Trial For Pulmonary Tuberculosis. PLoS One. 2010; 5: e10753
- Schluger NW* and Buryzynski J. Advances in Testing for Tuberculosis Infection, Chest, 2010; 138:1456-1463
- Mazurek M, Jereb J, Vernon A, LoBue P, Goldberg S, Castro K; IGRA Expert Committee**** Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Updated Guidelines For Using Interferon Gamma Release Assays To Detect Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Infection - United States, 2010. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2010 Jun 25;59(RR-5):1-25.