Royce W.S. Chen, MD
Participating DocASAP doctors have online booking available without the need for a myColumbiaDoctors account.
For existing patients, login to make an appointment, view documentation or contact your care provider.
Credentials & Experience
- Retinal Disorders
- Macular Pucker
- Laser Retinal Surgery
- Retinal and Vitreous Disorders
- Retinal Detachment
- Macular Degeneration
- Retinal Vascular Occlusion
- Vitreoretinal Surgery
- Retinal Photography
- Macular Hole
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Retina and Vitreous Surgery
- Retinal Holes and Tears
- Retinal Vascular Disorders
- Epiretinal Membrane
Education & Training
- MD, Tufts Univ School of Medicine
- Internship: Saint Vincent's Catholic Medical Center
- Residency: Edward S. Harkness Eye Institute
- Fellowship: Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
Honors & Awards
2015-2017 NYC Super Doctors Rising Star
2013 American Society of Retina Specialists Ambassador to the AAO Mid-Year Forum
2012 – 2013 Heed Foundation Fellowship
2011 – 2012 Chief Resident, Edward S. Harkness Eye Institute
2011 New York-Presbyterian Hospital Physician Champion Award
2010 Heed Foundation Residents Retreat
2007 Research to Prevent Blindness Medical Student Eye Research Fellowship
2007 Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology National Eye Institute Travel Grant
About Royce Chen
Royce Chen, MD, is the Helen and Martin Kimmel Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at Columbia University Medical Center and Attending Ophthalmologist at the New York-Presbyterian Hospital. He is a board-certified ophthalmologist who specializes in surgical and medical management of vitreoretinal disease and uveitis. Dr. Chen also serves as the Residency Program Director for the Department of Ophthalmology at Columbia.
Dr. Chen graduated from Yale University with a B.A. in Music and received his M.D. from Tufts University School of Medicine. He then performed his ophthalmology residency at Columbia University, where he served as Chief Resident. This was followed by a 2-year vitreoretinal surgical fellowship at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute at the University of Miami, where he served as a Clinical Instructor in Ophthalmology.
He has received numerous honors, including a Heed Foundation Fellowship and recognition as a NYC Super Doctors Rising Star, 2015-2017.
- Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at CUMC
American Academy of Ophthalmology
American Society of Retina Specialists
Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Medicare Managed Care
- NY Signature
- Signature Administrators
- Student Health
- Great West
- Medicare Managed Care
- Essential Plan
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Medicare Managed Care
- Select Care (Exchange)
Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Blue Priority
- Medicare (Mediblue)
- NYP Employee Plan
- Pathway (Exchange)
- Local 1199
- Traditional Medicare (NY)
Oxford Health Plans
- Medicare Managed Care
- Columbia University Employee Plan
- Compass (Exchange)
- Medicare Managed Care
*Please contact the provider’s office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Contact & Locations
New York, New York 10022
New York, New York 10032
1. Chen RWS, Flynn HW, Lee WH, Parke DW 3rd, Isom RF, Davis JL, Smiddy WF. Vitreoretinal management and surgical outcomes in proliferative sickle retinopathy: a case series. Article accepted for publication in American Journal of Ophthalmology 2014.
2. Greenberg JP, Sherman J, Zweifel SA, Chen R, Duncker T, Kohl S, Baumann B, Wissinger B, Yannuzzi LA, Tsang SH. Spectral-domain optical coherence tomography staging and autofluorescence imaging in achromatopsia. Article accepted for publication in JAMA Ophthalmology 2014.
3. Lee TJ, Hwang JC, Chen RWS, Lima LH, Wang N, Tosi J, Freund KB, Yannuzzi LA, Tsang SH. The role of fundus autofluorescence in late-onset retinitis pigmentosa (LORP) diagnosis. Ophthalmic Genetics 2013 Jul 30 (epub ahead of print).
4. Danis RP, Domalpally A, Chew EY, Clemons TE, Armstrong J, SanGiovanni JP, Ferris FL 3rd; AREDS2 Study Group. Methods and reproducibility of grading optimized digital color fundus photographs in the Age-Related Eye Disease Study 2 (AREDS2 Report Number 2). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2013;54:4548-54.
5. Chen RWS, Rachitskaya A, Scott IU, Flynn HW Jr. Is the use of topical antibiotics for intravitreal injections the standard of care, or are we better off without antibiotics? JAMA Ophthalmology 2013;131:840-2.
6. Harbour JW, Chen R. The DecisionDx-UM gene expression profile test provides risk stratification and individualized patient care in uveal melanoma. PLoS Curr. 2013 April 9;1. doi:10.1371/currents.eogt.af8ba80fc776c8f1ce8f5dc485d4a618.
7. Chang S, Gregory-Roberts E, Chen R. Retinal detachment associated with optic disc colobomas and morning glory syndrome. Eye 2012;26:494-500.
8. Chen RWS, Greenberg JP, Lazow MA, Ramachandran R, Lima L, Hwang JC, Schubert C, Braunstein A, Allikmets R, Tsang SH. Autofluorescence imaging and spectral domain optical coherence tomography in incomplete congenital stationary night blindness and comparison to retinitis pigmentosa. American Journal of Ophthalmology 2012;153:143-54.
9. Gorczynska I, Srinivasan VJ, Vuong LN, Chen RW, Liu JJ, Reichel E, Wojtkowski M, Schuman JS, Duker JS, Fujimoto JG. Projection OCT fundus imaging for visualizing outer retinal pathology in non-exudative age related macular degeneration. British Journal of Ophthalmology 2009;93:603-9.
10. Srinivasan VJ, Monson BK, Wojtkowski M, Bilonick R, Gorczynska I, Chen RWS, Duker JS, Schuman JS, Fujimoto JG. Characterization of outer retinal morphology with high-speed, ultrahigh resolution optical coherence tomography. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science 2008;49:1571-9.
11. Cruse JM, Lewis RE, Dilioglou S, Roe DL, Wallace WF, Chen RS. Review of immune function, healing of pressure ulcers, and nutritional status in patients with spinal cord injury. Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine. 2000;23:129-35.
12. Cruse JM, Lewis RE, Roe DL, Dilioglou S, Blaine MC, Wallace WF, Chen RS. Facilitation of immune function, healing of pressure ulcers, and nutritional status in spinal cord injury patients. Experimental and Molecular Pathology. 2000;68:38-54.
1. Gelman R, Chen RWS, Blonska A, Barile G, Sparrow JR. Fundus autofluorescence imaging in a patient with rapidly developing scotoma. Retinal Cases and Brief Reports 2012;6:345-8.
2. Chen RWS, Jakobiec FA, Zakka FR, Kazim M. Orbital perineurioma in the setting of dacryocystitis. Ophthalmic, Plastic, and Reconstructive Surgery 2012;28:e51-5.
3. Lima L, Barbazetto I, Chen R, Yannuzzi L, Tsang SH, Spaide RF. Macular dystrophy in Heimler syndrome. Ophthalmic Genetics 2011;32:97-100.
4. Chen RWS, Gorczynska I, Srinivasan VJ, Fujimoto JG, Duker JS, Reichel E. High-speed ultrahigh resolution optical coherence tomography findings in chronic solar retinopathy. Retinal Cases and Brief Reports 2008;2:103-5.
5. Yoon MK, Chen RWS, Hedges TR, Srinivasan VJ, Gorczynska I, Fujimoto JG, Schuman JS, Duker JS. High-speed ultrahigh resolution optical coherence tomography of the retina in Hunter syndrome. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging 2007;38:423-8.
Books and Chapters:
1. Chen RWS, Fujimoto JG, Duker JS. Spectral/Fourier Domain Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT). In: Arevalo JF, ed. Retinal Angiography and Optical Coherence Tomography. New York, NY: Springer; 2009: 439-52.
2. Chen RWS and JS Duker. Interpretation of OCT: Pearls in age-related macular degeneration, In: Boyd S, Brancato R, Straatsma B, eds. Optical Coherence Tomography Atlas and Text. Clayton, Republic of Panama: Jaypee-Highlights; 2008: 133-5.
Reviews, and Editorials:
1. Chen RWS, Harbour JW, Berrocal AM. Do I have cancer? A case of Von Hippel-Lindau syndrome. ASRS Spotlight Cases. October 23, 2013.
2. Chen RWS, Rhee D, Duker JS. Spectral OCT and three-dimensional imaging. Retina Times. 2007;22:26-9.
3. Chen RWS, Duker JS, Srinivasan V, Fujimoto JG. Speed and resolution improve in newest OCT. Review of Ophthalmology 2007;14:84-8.
4. Chen RW, Duker JS. Interpretation of OCT: Pearls in age-related macular degeneration. Highlights of Ophthalmology 2006;34:11-4.
Abstracts and Presentations:
1. Chen RW, Harbour JW. Acute inflammatory regression of class 1 posterior uveal melanoma following iodine-125 plaque radiotherapy. 2013 AAO Abstract. Poster Presentation.
2. Chen RW, Sherwood P, Mukkamala SK, Siringo FS, Chang S. Foveal contour after pars plana vitrectomy for idiopathic macular hole. 2013 ARVO Abstract. Poster Presentation.
3. Fisher Y, Chen R, Martinez A. Retinal Imaging. 2013 LuEsther T. Mertz Lecture.
4. Chen RW, Greenberg JP, Zweifel S, Sherman J, Yannuzzi LA, Tsang SH. Evaluation of individuals with achromatopsia using fundus autofluorescence, infrared imaging and spectral domain optical coherence tomography. 2011 ARVO Abstract. Poster Presentation.
5. Chen RW. A case of acute macular neuroretinopathy. 2011, Lighthouse International, New York Retina Club, AMD Alliance International Scientific Symposium. Case Presentation.
6. Chen RW, Greenberg JP, Hwang JC, Tsang SH. Evaluation of individuals with congenital stationary night blindness and retinitis pigmentosa using spectral domain optical coherence tomography and autofluorescence imaging. 2010 ARVO Abstract. Poster Presentation.
7. Chen RW, Duker JS, Reichel E, Baumal C, Rogers AH. Initial anatomic and visual results in patients after intravitreal ranibizumab injection for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. 2009 ARVO Abstract. Poster Presentation.
8. Castro LC, Baumal C, Chen R, Duker JS, Reichel E, Rogers AH. Optical Coherence Tomography and Visual Acuity Results Correlated to the Initial Anatomic Response Following Intravitreal Injection of Ranibizumab in Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration. 2009 ARVO Abstract. Poster Presentation.
9. Gorczynska I, Srinivasan VJ, Liu JJ, Chen RWS, Vuong LN, Wojtkowski M, Duker JS, Schuman JS, Fujimoto JG. Projection OCT fundus imaging for visualization of 3D-OCT Data. 2008 ARVO Abstract. Poster Presentation.
10. Chen RW, Srinivasan VJ, Duker JS, Reichel E, Baumal CR, Rogers AH, Hedges T, Wojtkowski M, Schuman JS, Fujimoto JG. Staging of central serous chorioretinopathy with high-speed ultrahigh resolution OCT. 2007 ARVO Abstract. Poster Presentation.
11. Rogers AH, Chen RW, Duker JS, Baumal CR, Reichel E, Gorczynska I, Liu JJ, Srinivasan V, Schuman JS, Fujimoto JG. Enhanced imaging of macular pathologies with the high speed, Fourier domain RTVue optical coherence tomography instrument. 2007 ARVO Abstract. Paper Presentation.
12. Gorczynska I, Srinivasan VJ, Liu JJ, Chen RW, Reichel E, Duker JS, Wojtkowski M, Schuman JS, Fujimoto JG. Characterization of Non-Exudative AMD With Three-Dimensional UHR OCT and Correlation With Standard Diagnostic Techniques. 2007 ARVO Abstract. Paper Presentation.
13. Liu JJ, Gorczynska I, Srinivasan VJ, Chen RW, Reichel E, Duker JS, Wojtkowski M, Fujimoto JG. OCT Fundus Imaging for Enhanced Visualization of Retinal Pathologies. 2007 ARVO Abstract. Poster Presentation.
14. Gorczynska I, Liu JJ, Srinivasan VJ, Chen RW, Wojtkowski M, Reichel E, Duker JS, Fujimoto JG. En-Face visualization methods for analyzing three-dimensional UHR OCT retinal imaging data. 2007 ECBO Abstract. Paper Presentation.