Vasco M. Lopes, PsyD
Credentials & Experience
- Child Psychiatry / Psychology
- Attention Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Child Psychology
- Child and Adolescent Psychology
- Child/Adolescent Psychology
- School & Learning Problems
- Emotional Disorder
- ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Panic Disorder
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Mental Health
- Adjustment Disorder
Education & Training
- PsyD, St John's University
- Fellowship: Fordham University
Honors & Awards
2005 Member of Psi-Chi-National Honor Society for Psychology
2006 Graduated With Honors: Cum Laude
2006 Member of the National Dean's List
About Vasco Lopes
Vasco Lopes, PsyD, is a licensed clinical psychologist and certified school psychologist with a specialty in the evaluation and treatment of children and adolescents with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), disruptive behaviors, aggression, severe temper tantrums, and emotional dysregulation. He has experience treating children through various modes of intervention including parent management training, teacher behavioral consultation, and cognitive behavior therapy. Dr. Lopes typically treats children with a multi-modal approach-focusing on giving parents and teachers the tools needed to help their child thrive and children the coping skills needed to best manage their behavior and emotions.
Dr. Lopes earned his doctorate in school psychology from St. John's University in 2011 and completed an APA-approved pre-doctoral internship at Andrus, a day and residential treatment center for children with severe emotional disturbances. Dr. Lopes was part of a team charged with developing and leading the first school-wide positive behavior intervention and supports (PBIS) program at Andrus. Dr. Lopes went on to complete a clinical and research fellowship in the Pediatric Emotion Regulation Laboratory (PERL) at Fordham University where he developed a specialization in diagnosing and treating children with severe emotional dysregulation.
Most recently, Dr. Lopes has served as a staff psychologist at the Child Mind Institute, in their ADHD and Disruptive Behavior Disorder Center. Dr. Lopes specialized in evidence-based treatments for disruptive behavior disorder and severe emotional dysregulation, including Parent Management Training (PMT), Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT), and cognitive behavior therapy. Dr. Lopes also developed a long-term collaboration with schools in the community, including Harlem Village Academy, and used evidence-based treatments to train teachers how to manage disruptive classroom behavior in at-risk students.
Dr. Lopes has co-authored several publications on topics related to child psychopathology, including a leading article in the American Journal of Psychiatry on a new child psychiatric disorder-Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder. He has also published a research article on ADHD and disruptive behavior disorders in the Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology and a book chapter on pediatric social phobia. Dr. Lopes has also presented to various professional and parent groups on topics related to childhood ADHD, disruptive behaviors, emotional dysregulation, and parenting behaviors, and has made several media appearances, including HuffPost Live, ABC Eyewitness News, and the Katie Couric Show.
- Instructor of Medical Psychology (in Psychiatry) at CUMC
American Psychological Association (APA)
Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT)
- NewYork-Presbyterian/Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
- NYP Employee Plan
- Behavioral Health Columbia University Employee Plan
*Please contact the provider’s office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Contact & Locations
- Holzer, B. & Lopes, V., & Lehman, R. (2013). Combination use of Atomoxetine and Olazapine in children and adolescents with ADHD and Disruptive Behaviors Disorder. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology.
- Roy, A., Klein, R., & Lopes, V. (2014). Diagnosis and Treatment of Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder. American Journal of Psychiatry, 171, (9), 918-924.
- Lopes, V. & Albano, A.M. (2013). Pediatric Social Phobia. In R. Vasa & A.K. Roy, (2013) ed. Pediatric Anxiety Disorders. Humana Press.