Skip to content

Stroke: Your Rehabilitation Team

Make an Appointment

Our team is here to help you make an appointment with the specialists that you need.

Stroke: Your Rehabilitation Team


Your stroke rehab team will include doctors and nurses who specialize in stroke rehab, as well as other professionals. Each team member will help you in specific ways. The team may include the following professionals.

Rehab doctor

A rehab doctor is a specialist in charge of your rehab program. The doctor may also work on special problems, such as muscle cramps and spasms.

Rehab nurses

Rehab nurses can help you in many ways. They may help you learn new ways to do daily activities. For example, they can help you learn how to:

  • Take care of your health, including a schedule for medicine.
  • Get from your bed to a wheelchair.
  • Bathe.
  • Control your bowels or bladder.
Physical therapist

A stroke often takes away a person's ability to move in certain ways. A physical therapist helps you get back as much movement, balance, and coordination as possible.

Physical therapy usually includes exercises. The exercises can help you get back your ability to walk and move as much as possible. It's important to practice these exercises over and over again.

Your therapist may also help you learn to use a wheelchair or walker. And they may teach you how to use stairs safely.

Occupational therapist

An occupational therapist helps you practice daily tasks like eating, bathing, dressing, and writing. For example, they may help you learn how to:

  • Prepare meals and clean your house.
  • Drive your car.
  • Use tools and devices that can help if you no longer have full use of both hands. For example, velcro can replace buttons on clothing.
  • Get grab bars for your bathroom.
  • Make your home safe if you have strength, balance, or vision problems.
Speech-language pathologist

A speech-language pathologist can help you relearn how to talk or find new ways to express yourself.

Swallowing is sometimes a problem after a stroke. This therapist can help you improve your ability to swallow.

This therapist can also help you work on reading and writing skills.


A dietitian can help you learn about nutrition and create a heart-healthy eating plan.

Psychologist or counselor

Emotions like fear, anxiety, anger, sadness, frustration, and grief are common after a stroke. A psychologist or counselor can help you deal with your emotions. They can also help you get treatment if you have depression.

Vocational counselor

Stroke can leave you with disabilities that make it hard to do your job. A vocational counselor can help you return to your job or find a new one. They can help you:

  • Identify your current skills and prepare a new resume.
  • Search for a job.
  • Understand the laws that protect disabled workers.
Recreational therapist

A recreational therapist helps you return to doing things you enjoy. This may include the arts, hobbies, sports, or leisure activities.

Social worker or case manager

A social worker or case manager can help you and your caregivers arrange for the help and equipment you may need at home after you leave the rehab center.

Related Information


Current as of: August 6, 2023

Author: Healthwise Staff
Clinical Review Board
All Healthwise education is reviewed by a team that includes physicians, nurses, advanced practitioners, registered dieticians, and other healthcare professionals.

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise, Incorporated, disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. Learn how we develop our content.