Skip to content

Child Safety: Preventing Burns

Make an Appointment

Our team is here to help you make an appointment with the specialists that you need.

Child Safety: Preventing Burns

Overview

Burns can happen in any home. Heat, electricity, contact with hard or rough surfaces (friction), and some common household chemicals can all cause burns. You can help protect your child by being aware of these hazards and keeping your child away from them.

Heat burns

Heat burns, also called thermal burns, are caused by contact with fire, steam, hot objects, or hot liquids. Tap water is a leading cause of nonfatal burns.

You can help protect your child from heat burns in the following ways.

  • Keep children away from kitchen appliances, irons, fireplaces, portable heaters, and wall heaters.

    Use screens to block off areas, if needed. When outdoors, keep your child away from barbecue grills and campfires.

  • Install scald-resistant faucets in sinks, showers, and bathtubs that children use.

    These fixtures have built-in thermostats to control the maximum temperature of the water. Set the thermostat so that the water temperature doesn't exceed 120°F (50°C).

  • Use kitchen range dial protectors.

    These prevent a child from turning on the heating elements of a stove.

  • Cook on the back burner with pot handles turned away from the edge of the stove.

    This can keep hot pans and their contents away from the reach of your child.

  • Be careful not to spill hot beverages when you carry or drink them around children.
  • Keep your flammable garage items out of the reach of children.
  • Enjoy fireworks from a distance.

    Fireworks injure children each summer. Children can also get burns from using and being around firecrackers and sparklers.

Electrical burns

Electrical burns are caused by contact with electrical sources or by lightning. Electrical current passing through a person's body may injure blood vessels, nerves, and muscles. Also, the throat and lungs can swell rapidly and severely, making breathing hard. The current can also damage the heart.

Protect your child around your home by using the following safety measures.

  • Place plug covers on all outlets.
  • Unplug all electrical items that are in your child's reach.
  • Use extra caution when using electrical items in areas where water sources are nearby.

    For example, be safe when using a hair dryer in the bathroom.

  • Don't let your child play with toys that must be plugged into an electrical outlet.
  • Take your child indoors and close all windows and doors during an electrical storm.
  • Don't overload electrical outlets by using too many extension cords or electrical receptacle multipliers.
  • Replace electrical equipment and appliances that show signs of wear.

    Check wires to see if they are loose or frayed.

Friction burns

Friction burns are caused by contact with any hard surface such as pavement ("road rash"), carpets, or gym floor surfaces. Most friction burns that occur in young children aren't serious. But they can be uncomfortable and painful.

You can help prevent friction burns in the following ways.

  • Avoid dragging or pulling your child across carpet while playing.
  • Provide safety equipment for physical activities.

    Two examples are knee pads and elbow pads for roller skating or riding scooters.

Chemical burns

Chemical burns need evaluation and treatment. Call the Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222 for specific treatment for a chemical burn. Have the product container with you when you call.

Burns can result from contact with a solid, powdered, or liquid chemical. A chemical burn may be serious because of the action of the corrosive or irritating chemicals on the skin. A chemical burn on the skin is often deeper and larger than it may first appear. Chemical fumes and vapors can also irritate or damage the body, especially the skin, lungs, and eyes. A swallowed chemical may be poisonous or may cause burning in the throat and esophagus.

  • Keep the following types of items completely out of reach.
    • Toilet cleaners
    • Battery acid
    • Bleach
    • Lime products
    • Plaster and mortar
    • Oven and drain cleaners
    • Fertilizers
    • Sparks from "sparklers"

If your child uses battery-operated toys, make sure the batteries are in protective casings that require assistance from an adult to open (such as casings secured with screws).

Credits

Current as of: February 28, 2023

Author: Healthwise Staff
Clinical Review Board
All Healthwise education is reviewed by a team that includes physicians, nurses, advanced practitioners, registered dieticians, and other healthcare professionals.

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise, Incorporated, disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. Learn how we develop our content.