Adolescent Bariatric Surgery
Make an Appointment
Our team is here to help you make an appointment with the specialists that you need.
Columbia’s Center for Adolescent Bariatric Surgery at New York-Presbyterian/Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital offers a multidisciplinary surgical weight management program. It includes:
- Health and metabolic screening
- Individualized exercise programs
- Laparoscopic weight loss surgery
- Nutritional guidance, dietary management, and education
- Ongoing follow-up for patients
Obesity is a major public-health concern in the United States and throughout the world. Left unchecked, it can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, joint pain, kidney disease, liver complications, and a host of other medical problems. In the past 20 years, obesity rates in young people have been on the rise, and weight-related complications are unfortunately all too common in children and adolescents.
Our surgical team has extensive experience in laparoscopic bariatric surgery and provides long-term care for patients in a supportive, caring environment. Columbia’s Center for Adolescent Bariatric Surgery also participates in a multicenter clinical trial to study laparoscopic adjustable gastric bands in adolescents.
- In addition, our center’s researchers investigate:
- Changes in metabolic parameters (leptin, ghrelin) with weight reduction.
- Changes in quality of life associated with weight loss.
- Social factors related to successful weight reduction after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding.
- The natural history of obesity-associated conditions (type 2 diabetes, hyperlipidemia, and hypertension) while patients are losing weight and when they have lost substantial weight.