Our Aerodigestive Center delivers comprehensive, multidisciplinary care for children with complex conditions involving the airway, lungs, and gastrointestinal system.
Our experienced physicians and allied health care providers offer state-of-the-art diagnostic testing and will design a personalized plan to manage your child’s condition.
At the initial visit, your child will be evaluated by a team of health care professionals including a pulmonologist, otolaryngologist (ENT physician), gastroenterologist and speech pathologist. Referrals are readily available to pediatric specialists at CUMC in nutrition, respiratory and physical therapy, surgery, rehabilitation medicine and other areas as needed.
Treatment plans are generated with family input, and we maintain close communication with your primary care provider. Our social workers and nurse educators are on hand to assist with details of the medical plan and provide family support.
Our multidisciplinary team provides the following services:
- Lung function measurements: spirometry, lung volumes, diffusing capacity
- Bronchial airway challenges
- Respiratory muscle strength testing
- Triple Endoscopy: flexible bronchoscopy, rigid bronchoscopy, upper gastrointestinal endoscopy coordinated so that multiple procedures can be performed when child undergoes anesthesia
- Sleep laboratory with diagnostic polysomnograms to assess/adjust oxygen and ventilatory needs
- Management of feeding tubes
- Ph probe testing
- Modified barium swallow testing to assess feeding issues and risk for aspiration pneumonia
- Psychosocial support