1 Train Service Resumes at 168th Street Station
The year-long elevator replacement project at the 168th Street station has wrapped up early, meaning our patients can once again use the 1 train to come see us at the medical center campus.
On Dec. 20, 2019, the 1 line rejoined the A and C in regular service at the station.
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority made the following upgrades to the station:
- Replaced the elevators
- Repaired the elevator shafts
- Reopened rear vestibules at the lower mezzanine to ease boarding and exiting the elevators
- Installed a back-up battery to allow customers to exit the elevators in the case of a power failure
- Replaced all support machinery
- Installed two security cameras in each elevator cab for increased security
- Installed new communications equipment to speed up response time if there's any problem with an elevator
- New lighting in the lower mezzanine
- Redid the historic tile work in the lower mezzanine, including salvaging old tile and installing completely new tile to match