Kidney & Bladder
Kidney & Bladder
Make an Appointment
Our team is here to help you make an appointment with the specialists that you need.
Consistently ranked among the top nephrology programs in the country, ColumbiaDoctors Nephrology is staffed by world-class experts in kidney, glomerular disease, shock, acute and chronic kidney failure, dialysis, and transplantation. More than 40 years ago, ColumbiaDoctors were involved in innovative approaches to kidney disease.
With comprehensive clinical services, cutting-edge research, and outstanding training programs, ColumbiaDoctors attracts some of the finest physicians in the field and offers our patients access to comprehensive, state-of-the-art care and research protocols.
Our specialties include:
- Thomas L. Nickolas, MD, MS, Associate Professor of Medicine
- Sean D. Kalloo MD, MBA, Assistant Professor of Medicine (in Radiology)
- Maya K. Rao, MD Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Jai Radhakrishnan, MD, MS, Professor of Medicine
- Eric C. Siddall Jr., MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Anthony M. Valeri, MD, Professor of Medicine
- Teena Zachariah, MD Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Shayan Shirazian, Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Jacob Stevens, MD Assistant Professor of Medicine
Chronic Kidney Disease and Diabetic Nephropathy
We have extensive expertise in all aspects of caring for chronic kidney disease including diabetic nephropathy, hypertensive kidney disease, and cystic kidney disease. We offer multiple sub-specialty nephrology clinics, staffed by our physician-researchers in the areas of genetics, metabolic bone disease, and geriatric nephrology. In addition, we are conducting research on using innovative technologies to create personalized nutrition plans for patients that include tailored dietary recommendations.
Dialysis and End-stage Renal Disease
Each year, our nephrologists and other clinicians manage 8000 to 9000 hemodialysis procedures. Chronic hemodialysis at Columbia University Medical Center is offered in a state-of-the-art outpatient dialysis facility. In addition, our doctors staff chronic dialysis facilities that service upper Manhattan and the Bronx. We offer comprehensive care for dialysis vascular access staffed by our interventional radiologists, interventional nephrologists, and vascular surgeons. We offer consultation for metabolic bone disease staffed by a nephrologist and world-class endocrine surgeons.
Hypertension & Renal Vascular Disease
Hypertension affects an estimated 10-25 percent of the population of the United States. Most patients with kidney disease develop hypertension. Our physicians are experts in hypertension care including working up different reversible causes of hypertension, and tailored treatments to minimize the number of drugs needed, in particular for those who have difficult to control hypertension on multiple drugs.
At the Columbia University Medical Center Comprehensive Kidney Stone Center, our nephrologists collaborate with urologists to provide outstanding care for patients with kidney stones, from the basic to the most complex stone disease. Treatments available include shockwave lithotripsy (SWL), ureteroscopy, percutaneous nephrolithotomy, robotic surgery/laparoscopy, and, in the rarest of cases, open surgery.
Our Center for Glomerular Diseases is the first academic program of its kind in the nation. Patients from all over the world come to the center to seek first and second opinions from our glomerular disease trained sub-specialists. Patients are screened for entry into appropriate clinical trials and genetic testing is offered at the Center. For diagnostic purposes, our nephrologists perform ultra-sound guided kidney biopies in a dedicated outpatient suite. All kidney biopsies are read by our internationally recognized renal pathologists. In addition, a special fellowship is offered for nephrologists interested in obtaining extra training in glomerular disease.
- Wooin Ahn, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Pietro A. Canetta, MD Assistant Professor of Medicine, Training Program Director, Nephrology
- Gerald B. Appel MD, FACP, FASN, Professor of Medicine
- Andrew S. Bomback, MD, MPH, Assistant Professor of Medicine
Inherited Kidney Disease/Precision Medicine
This clinic specializes in caring for pediatric and adult patients with a strong family history of kidney disease or an undiagnosed kidney disorder. We apply the latest genomic technologies to make a precise diagnosis of disease, tailor treatment and provide counseling for patients and family members.
- Simone Sanna- Cherchi, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Krzysztof Kiryluk, MD, MS, Herbert Irving Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Ali Gharavi, MD, Professor of Medicine Chief, Division of Nephrology
Working with expert surgeons, we are recognized pioneers in kidney transplantation, and perform over 200 transplants every year. Our goal is to maximize access to kidney transplantation so our patient can live healthier lives. To achieve this, we have developed and employed innovative solutions, such as using plasmapheresis for incompatible live donors and arranging paired donor exchanges, as well as more traditional approaches, such as compatible live donor transplants and deceased donor procedures. The kidney transplantation program provides pre- and post-transplant counseling for patients and family members, along with the newest therapies to help reduce the side effects of anti-rejection medications.
- David J. Cohen, MD, Professor of Medicine
- Geoffrey K. Dube, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Heather K. Morris MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Hilda Fernandez, MD, Clinical Instructor
- Jae H. Chang, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine,
- Russell J. Crew, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Sumit Mohan, MD, MPH, Assistant Professor of Medicine
Patients may visit our physicians at the following office locations:
Glomerular Center at the Irving Pavilion
161 Fort Washington Ave., Room 202
General Nephrology Clinic at Presbyterian Hospital
622 West 168th Street, PH4-124
Renal Transplantation Clinic at Presbyterian Hospital
622 W. 168th St., 14th Floor