The Pain Management Center puts a patient’s health and quality of life above all else.
For over 30 years, the Pain Management Center of Columbia University has provided comprehensive, first-class care to adults and children experiencing acute and chronic pain, resulting from a wide variety of conditions and illnesses.
At the Pain Center, we understand that pain can affect not only a person's physical and emotional well-being but also their ability to participate in everyday activities, whether at home or at work. Our highly trained, board-certified pain management doctors are dedicated to alleviating and managing this pain by employing a multidisciplinary approach. Our team works closely with patients and their families to help them lead active, productive and rewarding lives.
Thanks to cutting-edge facilities, state-of-the-art technologies, and a skilled, knowledgeable, compassionate team, the Pain Center is able to offer the most up-to-date and effective procedures and techniques available in pain management.
ColumbiaDoctors pain management specialists are all affiliated with a top-ranked hospital, New York-Presbyterian, and work alongside professionals in a myriad of disciplines to develop the best course of action for each patient.
The Pain Center specializes in a patient-centered approach combined with technology to provide the most effective and individualized care plan possible. We believe that every patient’s pain is unique, and to that end, we have developed an arsenal of treatment options to battle pain.
Strategies including interventional techniques, topical medications, minimally invasive procedures, implantable devices, and cognitive behavioral therapy help us focus on our primary goal: to get our patients back to living a full, active, pain-free life.
Patients from around the globe come to the Pain Center to receive expert care in an understanding, comfortable environment for a broad spectrum of conditions, including:
- Arthritis Pain: Our pain management doctors work closely with patients and their families to develop a personalized care plan aimed at alleviating arthritis pain and improving joint function so they can lead happier, more independent lives.
- Low Back Pain: Low back pain can have a debilitating effect not only on a person’s social life but also on their work life and overall well-being. We specialize in advanced interventional procedures as well as the latest nonoperative and minimally invasive techniques to help patients lead productive, enjoyable lives both in and outside of the workplace.
- Headaches & Migraines: Often left untreated and difficult to diagnose, chronic headache pain can severely impact a person’s ability to engage in daily life. Drawing from extensive research and clinical trials, our experienced, highly trained physicians and practitioners are committed to the diagnosis and effective relief of a patient’s headache pain.
- Cancer Pain: Our compassionate staff recognizes the difficulties faced by cancer patients as a result of both their condition and their treatments, and employs innovative techniques to help them effectively and comfortably manage their pain.
- Persistent Postsurgical Pain: Our expert care providers are specially trained in identifying and treating chronic pain that occurs as a complication from surgery.
- Myofascial Pain Syndrome (Chronic Muscle Pain): We administer a variety of strategies ranging from pharmacologic therapies and trigger-point injections to spinal-cord stimulation and acupuncture in order to identify and treat pain and inflammation associated with repeated injury to or overuse of muscle tissue.
- Post-Herpetic Neuralgia (Nerve Pain): Patients suffering from post-herpetic neuralgia, a type of nerve pain resulting from complications of the chickenpox and shingles virus, receive the utmost personalized care through a range of pain-management options, from topical medications to nerve blocks to TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) trials.
The Pain Center is located in midtown Manhattan at 5 Columbus Circle, near several subway lines and parking facilities:
- Subway: 1, A, C, B, and D trains at the 59th Street-Columbus Circle subway station and N, Q, and R trains at the 57th Street/7th Avenue station.
- Car: Parking is available at five nearby ICON Parking locations:
- 330 W. 5th St. (between Eighth and Ninth avenues)
- 888 Seventh Ave. (enter on 56th Street and Seventh Avenue, between Seventh and Eighth avenues)
- 900 Eighth Ave. (enter on 53rd or 54th streets, between Broadway and Eighth Avenue)
- 440 W. 57th St. (between Ninth and Tenth avenues)
- 1700 Broadway (enter on 54th Street, between Broadway and Seventh Avenue)
Patients can get their parking ticket validated after their office visit to receive a discount when picking up their vehicle.
The Pain Management Center is open Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For appointments, call 212-305-7114; call before 11 a.m. to schedule a same-day appointment. Our streamlined referral process is simple for both patients and referring physicians.