Acute Pain Care
At the ColumbiaDoctors Pain Management Center, we understand that when a patient decides that surgery is the right option for them, it can still be a time of great uncertainty and concern.
Apprehension about his or her procedure and recovery can add stress to an already complicated and often overwhelming situation. And perhaps foremost in the minds of patients is how to effectively manage their pain immediately following the procedure and during the sometimes lengthy recovery period.
The Pain Management Center has been delivering excellence in first-class pain-management care for over three decades. We recognize that well-administered and comprehensive perioperative care — care received before, during, and after surgery — is essential to promoting the best possible outcome.
Our Acute Perioperative Pain team collaborates with surgical patients to develop a complete, multimodal, personalized care plan for managing their postsurgical pain, with the goal of providing patients with the highest level of comfort before, during, and after surgery and helping them gain full recovery as quickly, safely, and pain-free as possible.
Our patients receive top-notch care from an expert team of compassionate, attentive pain management doctors throughout the surgical process:
- Before Surgery: Patients meet with their anesthesiologist prior to surgery to address any questions and concerns they may have and discuss the pain-management options available to them.
- Day of Surgery: The care provider meets with the patient in the recovery room to evaluate and make any necessary adjustments to the plan.
- After Surgery: Our dedicated staff follows the patient’s progress to monitor the individual’s pain and help them transition to the appropriate pain medications, treatments, and follow-up care. Patients have access to a pain team physician 24 hours a day during their hospital stay.
Our knowledgeable, experienced anesthesiologists and physician specialists work closely with patients as well as professionals from a variety of disciplines to create a pain-management plan tailored to the individual and their specific type of surgery. The Pain Center specializes in a multidisciplinary approach, utilizing a wide range of treatment options to minimize, improve, and even eliminate the pain associated with a variety of surgeries, including:
- Head and neck surgery
- Chest surgery
- Back and spine surgery
- Arm and leg surgery
- Pelvic and urologic surgery
Due to state-of-the-art facilities and innovative technologies, our highly trained staff employs the latest techniques and strategies available. Our patients receive from our pain management doctors the highest level of safety and accuracy for the administration of a wide variety of procedures and pharmacological therapies, including:
- Spinal and epidural block
- Sciatic nerve block
- Lumbar plexus block
- Patient-controlled regional analgesia
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents (NSAIDS)
- Muscle relaxants
We are committed to working with patients throughout their hospital stay, and after, to help them regain mobility after surgery and minimize their stay so they can get back to living full, productive life as quickly as possible.
The Outpatient Chronic Pain Center is situated in midtown Manhattan, at 5 Columbus Circle, Suite 1500, conveniently located near several subway lines and parking facilities. We are open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.