Instructions Before and After Surgery
Before Your Surgery
On the day of surgery, please remember the following:
- Do not wear any make-up. Do not wear any mascara or eyeliner the day before your surgery.
- Do not wear any perfume or cologne, including fragrant body lotion or cream.
- Do not wear any contact lenses for at least one week before your surgery for regular soft lenses and two weeks before your surgery for toric and rigid lenses.
- Arrive 15-20 minutes before your procedure time.
- Read, sign and date your consent forms.
- Arrange for transportation or for someone to drive you home after surgery.
- Fill out any needed prescriptions.
After Your Surgery
- You should keep your eyes closed for 5-6 hours following the procedure—no television, reading, or computer use on the day of surgery.
- Rest and use your drops during the first 24 hours after surgery, but do not interrupt sleep to take drops.
- Do not drive for at least 12 hours after surgery.
- Use clear protective shield(s) while sleeping.
- Do not wear eye make-up for at least one week after surgery.
- Please keep your eyes closed and away from tap water, soap, and shampoo when you shower. Alternatively, you can wear protective shields.
- Do not participate in contact/impact sports for 2-4 weeks. Golf and mild aerobic exercise are usually fine within a few days or at your physician’s discretion.
- Protective eyewear must be worn when participating in any sporting activity.
- There is no swimming, hot tub, sauna, or steam bath for four weeks after surgery.
- No yard, garden, or woodwork for one week after surgery.
- When leaving after your surgery, avoid sitting in the front of the car equipped with airbags.
- When you are outside, please wear protective sunglasses as you will be sensitive to light.