Instructions Before and After Surgery
Make an Appointment
Our team is here to help you make an appointment with the specialists that you need.
Before Your Surgery
On the day of surgery, please remember the following:
- Do not wear any make-up. Do not wear any mascara or eyeliner the day before your surgery.
- Do not wear any perfume or cologne, including fragrant body lotion or cream.
- Do not wear any contact lenses for at least one week before your surgery for regular soft lenses and two weeks before your surgery for toric and rigid lenses.
- Arrive 15-20 minutes before your procedure time.
- Read, sign and date your consent forms.
- Arrange for transportation or for someone to drive you home after surgery.
- Fill out any needed prescriptions.
After Your Surgery
- You should keep your eyes closed for 5-6 hours following the procedure—no television, reading, or computer use on the day of surgery.
- Rest and use your drops during the first 24 hours after surgery, but do not interrupt sleep to take drops.
- Do not drive for at least 12 hours after surgery.
- Use clear protective shield(s) while sleeping.
- Do not wear eye make-up for at least one week after surgery.
- Please keep your eyes closed and away from tap water, soap, and shampoo when you shower. Alternatively, you can wear protective shields.
- Do not participate in contact/impact sports for 2-4 weeks. Golf and mild aerobic exercise are usually fine within a few days or at your physician’s discretion.
- Protective eyewear must be worn when participating in any sporting activity.
- There is no swimming, hot tub, sauna, or steam bath for four weeks after surgery.
- No yard, garden, or woodwork for one week after surgery.
- When leaving after your surgery, avoid sitting in the front of the car equipped with airbags.
- When you are outside, please wear protective sunglasses as you will be sensitive to light.